Monday, January 30, 2012

The Third International eHealth Conference 2012, Pakistan

I presented my first ever research paper at the Third International eHealth Conference 2012 organized by the eHealth Association of Pakistan.
It was extremely fitting that Dr. Burke was the co-author of my first paper, since I wouldnt have got to do any of these things if not for him anyway.
The entire effort was spearheaded by Glen McCallum, who is a great source of inspiration, and always gives me excellent advice.
The conference website can be found here.
Basically, this was the third eHealth conference to be held.
It was held at the city of Lahore on the 21st and 22nd of January. I travelled to Lahore via India.

My flight plan was something like this -
Colombo -> Delhi -> Amritsar
From Amritsar take the bus across the border, and arrived at Lahore.
The return journey was also similar (with a few hiccups)

Planning the journey was quite daunting, as I had to secure both Indian and Pakistani visas.
Fortunately, Dr. Burke funded my journey, so that was a major load off my back. In fact, I would not have been able to attend the event if not for him.
If I got to Pakistan thanks to Dr. Burke, then I returned thanks to Glen, because he stepped in to solve a sudden emergency (flight problem) that I faced. If not for him, I'd probably still be stranded in Pakistan.

However, i'd say that the entire conference was an outstanding success, and totally worth the effort. I learnt many things on regional healthcare services / informatics. In fact, it was a real eye opener.
I also made very many friends from the Aga Khan University (Karachi) during my stay.

No comments:

Post a Comment