Saturday, January 28, 2012

How did I present two papers in just under a week ?

I guess that many people are wondering how I did this, so here goes,

Firsly, I identified the need to publish papers following conversations with my good friends / advisors / mentors Glen, Dr. Burke and Joaquin of HST.
Professor Szolovits also recommended that I do so, as many people tend to do a lot of hard work, but fail to publish on anything that result from their efforts.
I always like to set targets to what I do, and in the case of research papers, Joaquin  (or more correctly, Dr. Joaquin) was my target. If you look at his CV (see here) you'll see that he has published an incredible number of top quality papers.

So one day I saw a mail on the OpenMRS mailing list calling for sumbissions for the eHealth conference 2012 (Pakistan) and so I jusmped at the chance to have a go.
I co authored a paper with Dr. Burke on FOSS solutions for healthcare. The paper studies why FOSS healthcare solutions can fail, and proposes a series of guidelines for implementors who are planning to take up FOSS helthcare. It was a very detailed research paper, and took up a lot of time, effort and dedication.


However, even as I was working on this paper I had the worry, 'ok, lets say that this paper is acepted. Even so, how can I actually make it to Pakistan to present it ? I don't have any money'.
I contacted my personal think tank, ex- Oracle manager and vissionary Glen McCallum. His advice was, 'think of that later, funding opportunities may be available. Focus on the paper for now.'

Naturally, I took his advice.

However, one week later I saw on a notice board that Sri lanka is going to have our own tech conference soon, and that there has been a call for papers. Of course I'll definitely be able to attend a local conference, so I quickly decided to work on another paper as well.
Of course, it was not quite that easy. I had to come up with a good topic.
Well, as luck would have it I realized that there was some quality research I had done a few months back, which was extremely suitable for publication due to its novelity as well as its relevance to a Sri lankan context.
So I wrote the paper, and submitted it as well.  Dr. Kulari Lokuge,one of my old teachers (currently with Swinburnne University, Aussie) was my co-author.
It was very hard work, writing two papers with such short notice, and I had to really push myself, but I finally managed to get it done.

But enough for this post. The rest of the selection process and other news will go into another post....






No comments:

Post a Comment