Saturday, February 4, 2012

I'm in the latest edition of the FOSS USER LK magazine !!!


The title of this post says it all. :-)

An article I wrote on FOSS and community involvement has made it to the latest
FOSS user mag edition.

To download it, go here,
to read it online, go here,

In this article, I argued the following viewpoints,

1. Most Asian students consider GSOC as a 'get rich quick' scheme.
2. When a majority of Asian students say that they are involved in FOSS, they
really mean that they have taken part in GSOC.
3. Many Asian students consider FOSS as a 'seasonal' event which revolves around
the GSOC Summer period
4. vary few GSOC students actually continue with their projects once the summer
is over
5. Some Asian students will keep on doing GSOC projects year in and year out,
and wont care to take up a bigger community role no matter how experienced they
become.

I feel that these are major faults of many of our students. I highlighted them
in my article to our own Sri Lankan students.
I hope that my message will help improve their own involvement, and encourage
them to take up more community responsibility :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment